My photo
Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands
After 35 years as an officer with the Tulsa Police Department, I retired & took a year contract job with the Kwajalein Police Dept. The wife, Scott stayed home to take care of the places and all the critters, while I headed off for my year in a tropical paradise. I am at 90% contract complete now and planning my return to the real world. I have had an amazing time and hope that you enjoy the Atoll, through my Blog. Feel free to email me if you have any questions about my time on the Rock.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Wow; living out a parrot head’s dream

Just came in from a run (Friday); had to stop at the half way point and just walk back. Started out with a clear sky and the stars shining like diamonds then add in a few wisps of clouds, the blowing breeze, the palm trees swaying and the waves crashing. It was just too hard not to stop and just take it all in. Living out one of those times in which you to get your head on straight and just kick back and chill. Time to let all those problems drift out of the way and just enjoy life.

Welcome to Kwaj time; slowed down and easy. Here, if you feel like going for a walk in the middle of the night you do so without a worry. Where just about anybody who passes you says hi and you ask how they are doing. Think of Mayberry, USA on a Pacific island.

Wish I had a better camera, or at least the skill to capture and share the sights here. Some of my photos are good, at least for me but it takes a long time to get them on the Blog. Going to start taking my camera to work; one of the guys saw a couple of coconut crabs last night. Not the giant ones (the natives and eat them but they are protected from us) but one will come along for a picture soon.

Of course I will admit it’s not what everyone is used to and not everyone would like it here. The internet is SLOW and there are a limited number of TV shows—would say how many but I haven’t had time to get a TV yet. I go to my place to sleep and then it’s either to work or on to something outside. Did I say that it is always warm here (except in the BQ’s where I wear a sweat shirt). I talked to one of the weather guys the other day. We beat all the cities including those in HI in average highs, temperature and winds.

So to all you guys waiting for summer in Oklahoma, for a minute or two, kick back, relax, turn on the Kenny Chesney & Jimmy Buffett tunes and know that “I’m enjoying the life!”

PS: Saturday—got off work early & went to Emmon beach for some snorkeling. Not much to see except maybe that turtle I swam with, thousands of brilliant colored fish and a great mix of corals J Going to try and stay up late tonight as I start a graveyard shift Sunday @ 1700 hours.