My photo
Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands
After 35 years as an officer with the Tulsa Police Department, I retired & took a year contract job with the Kwajalein Police Dept. The wife, Scott stayed home to take care of the places and all the critters, while I headed off for my year in a tropical paradise. I am at 90% contract complete now and planning my return to the real world. I have had an amazing time and hope that you enjoy the Atoll, through my Blog. Feel free to email me if you have any questions about my time on the Rock.

Friday, May 21, 2010

Expensive Dive!

I had another great dive Friday night. Went out on the north point; going to stay shallow so I thought this would be a great dive to take my fairly new camera and see how it did at night. It is rated to 30’ or maybe 32’ (Canon D10), my dive computer listed my max depth at 27’ but the seal must have blown and it flooded! Hope to save the 8 GB SD but time will tell. Salt water and electronic stuff do not survive together!

BUT the dive was great! My dive buddy had to fight off a needle fish that kept coming at his face when we first went in. I saw a large lion fish (wow!), a huge red star fish, a giant puffer fish, a small almost clear octopus, and a critter I believe was a variety of cucumber. It was red, long and curled around like a snake. It moved slowly—you could see its eyes and under the belly and sides were thousands of small clear tentacles pushing it along. Rather spooky looking. Did not see the stone fish as it was hiding up in a large hole but it had its tongue out waving the lure to catch a fish. The tongue appeared to be a yard long! Can you identify which ones could kill you and which ones would just make a real bad night? Sorry you are not here to enjoy the thrill of life here in the Central Pacific with me. Did I mention that I am getting paid to be here, given a place to live and all the meals free? SWEET J