My photo
Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands
After 35 years as an officer with the Tulsa Police Department, I retired & took a year contract job with the Kwajalein Police Dept. The wife, Scott stayed home to take care of the places and all the critters, while I headed off for my year in a tropical paradise. I am at 90% contract complete now and planning my return to the real world. I have had an amazing time and hope that you enjoy the Atoll, through my Blog. Feel free to email me if you have any questions about my time on the Rock.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Flying Fish too!

What a great day! We went through the pass, out of the lagoon and into the ocean for a couple of dives. The first dive went to 81’ for 60 minutes. The visibility was better and we were right on the edge where you can see into the endless deep blue water. The site was called “Fish Bowl”, it was filled with larger fish with numerous varieties of fish and corals. The current would flow moving you back and forth for a great ride. We went through the “chimney”, a large hole rising about 30’ which was impressive. As we were headed to the boat a big turtle went past. When we started to move the boat to the next location, one of the anchors was hung too tight to pull up. I grabbed my mask for the deepest free dive I’ve made. It was only about 30’ deep but was still a challenge to me. On my first trip, got it cleared and came up. The current pushed the boat and re-hung the anchor. Had to hold my breath and go again. Cleared it and got the anchor pulled up before it hung up again.

Moving to the next location and large splash was seen out in the ocean; we started that way to see if any whale might come up (none did L) That is when the flying fish started popping up everywhere. The boat was rocking too much to ever get a photo but they are fun to watch and can travel some distance.

The next dive (58 min. @24’) was again right next to the edge for the drop off and filled with larger fish. Stayed shallow enough to take my camera and hopefully got some good pictures. Saw one of the large, dark colored parrot fish (they have good front teeth) and went in close for some pictures. I guess he was camera shy or maybe just did not like me but had a bad temper anyway. So he went into the attack mode and came after me. I was swimming backwards still trying to get pictures of him. I had to bump him with my camera at one point. After he had herded me back far enough he went back to chomping on the coral. Had a couple of turtles come swim by (one was under some coral and came out when he noticed me. As we were headed back to the boat a small shark (4’) came by.

Great dives—what I came here for! Just does not get much better than this. J