My photo
Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands
After 35 years as an officer with the Tulsa Police Department, I retired & took a year contract job with the Kwajalein Police Dept. The wife, Scott stayed home to take care of the places and all the critters, while I headed off for my year in a tropical paradise. I am at 90% contract complete now and planning my return to the real world. I have had an amazing time and hope that you enjoy the Atoll, through my Blog. Feel free to email me if you have any questions about my time on the Rock.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Time to log another dive

Can it get any better than this? Just got in from a night dive; thought it would be a real bright night with the full moon but the moon rise was after we came out. When you turn off the lights and quickly shake your hands, the plankton will glow and appears to be like stars under the water with you. The high points: sorry cannot spell it but “neuter-bracks”! Going around the corner of the wreck and on the ledge right next to you is another “snake like” creature. It was around 7’ long, a couple inches thick, white with reddish-brown semi-stripes, and then the mouth! It had fingers (3 or 4) at its mouth, pulling stuff in. It had an alien look; maybe from great depths. It was an eye opener for sure. Backed up some and then ran into 4 or 5 more! More stone fish waving their tongues, spiny lobsters with glowing eyes inside the wreck, assorted other fish and then the best part of this dive. We were going over some sand and noticed some sand getting stirred up by something. Went over and hovered over it trying to determine what was kicking up the sand. The sand continued to fly and then suddenly there is was. A sting ray at least 4’ in diameter and tail about the same length. He would shake and pound himself into the sand, shoveling about 4” to 6” deep. His eyes were enormous! He did not like us watching him and moved three times, pounding back into the sand each time. He finally had all he wanted of us, got up and flew off into the deeper water. Another hour underwater going into the dive log book!

Scott is mailing me a new camera--pictures again soon!