My photo
Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands
After 35 years as an officer with the Tulsa Police Department, I retired & took a year contract job with the Kwajalein Police Dept. The wife, Scott stayed home to take care of the places and all the critters, while I headed off for my year in a tropical paradise. I am at 90% contract complete now and planning my return to the real world. I have had an amazing time and hope that you enjoy the Atoll, through my Blog. Feel free to email me if you have any questions about my time on the Rock.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

A few cudas passing by



Who has right of way?





What can I say; some of the guys out here just don’t understand. First I am going along; taking a few pictures and here comes a turtle. Great, he is coming in close to get his picture taken. Excuse me, as he bumps into me and then swims past. Go on a night dive a few hours later; a “file” fish or “needle” fish around 4’ long appears. Maybe he did not like the light shining on him, he circles around, darts back in and takes a nip at another diver. I keep an eye on him as he disappears into the darkness then come back around behind us. The fish starts to take a nip at the dive buddy next to me, who uses his flashlight to bump the fish in the nose. We were doing a wreck dive on that night dive; saw one of the biggest puffer fish that I’ve ever seen. May have “encouraged” him to move out of his hiding place in the ship but made sure to stay back far enough to discourage another close encounter, since they are known to take bites out of divers and have rather nasty teeth. Saw another large fish, known to have a nasty disposition, don’t recall what it is called but reminded me of an over grown parrot fish. Night dives are the best, never pass up a chance to go on one. Saw a nice spotted eel and lots of small shells (still moving around). The clams are impressive with their size and color. Took a picture of one but it was not as brightly colored as some I’ve seen previously. Not bad for a day off, get to log three dives and have almost two hours of underwater time. I’m planning on snorkeling some of the pools ocean side at low tide, (made from both Japanese and American digging for material to expand the island—check the history and maps). Just checking them out now and spear fishing to follow. Did I mention that the pools are full of lobster and fish for the taking? More to follow J