My photo
Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands
After 35 years as an officer with the Tulsa Police Department, I retired & took a year contract job with the Kwajalein Police Dept. The wife, Scott stayed home to take care of the places and all the critters, while I headed off for my year in a tropical paradise. I am at 90% contract complete now and planning my return to the real world. I have had an amazing time and hope that you enjoy the Atoll, through my Blog. Feel free to email me if you have any questions about my time on the Rock.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Night Dives

Trying to catch up, Thursday went on a dive at dusk, which turned to night about half way through the dive. Went to Coral Sands Beach; straight out into the Lagoon, snorkeling out then dropping down. Continued out for 25 minutes, turn 90 degrees for five minutes in then headed back. A shallow dive, no idea how far out into the Lagoon (long ways) and ended up with a 70 minute dive.

There is always something to see. Wednesday there was only portion of the moon shinning and then it got covered by clouds, so it was really a dark night. We missed the ship (it should have been on the 270 degree bearing). As always, I still had a good time. Ending the dive and almost to the exit location saw something partly under a rock. We must have spooked it as it came slithering out—a lot longer than I thought it should be. It was a banded sea snake; bad news if you get bit by one. Wish I had my camera but it will only go down to 30’.

Found a coconut crab, (while on patrol) but they are hard to take a picture of by yourself, those pinchers bust open coconuts, not going to let it get me. The picture has my flashlight in the background for reference. The largest of these crabs is around 8 pounds; this one should be around 5.