My photo
Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands
After 35 years as an officer with the Tulsa Police Department, I retired & took a year contract job with the Kwajalein Police Dept. The wife, Scott stayed home to take care of the places and all the critters, while I headed off for my year in a tropical paradise. I am at 90% contract complete now and planning my return to the real world. I have had an amazing time and hope that you enjoy the Atoll, through my Blog. Feel free to email me if you have any questions about my time on the Rock.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Happy Cinco de Mayo

I finished my first graveyard shift in a LONG time this morning at 0530 hours. The 12 hour shifts will take some time to get use to but the nights are impressive here. Did not get to see a real big coconut crab last night but did see 3 smaller ones. Hope to post a picture of one soon (forgot my camera last night). The Hermit Crabs are so thick you have to be careful where you walk, whenever you are close to the water. They find the best looking shells too! Went on another B-boat trip to Bigej Island; picked up a few shells and some beach glass. One of the guys found a piece of real thick blue-green glass; he said that it was from one of the old Japanese glass floats! While I was out snorkeling a couple of my shells had to be tossed out—more Hermit Crabs! Not used to sleeping during the day yet. Went to the other end of the island and did some more snorkeling before I have to go in and “work”. Sure is nice to get on the bike, have a nice ride, great weather, play in the ocean and still have lots of time for a 12 hour shift. “just an island boy” J